Tom Schmitt Board Member – Contract Logistics and Global Chief Commercial Officer for DB SchenkerT
DB Schenker is one of the top 3 global 3PL companies in the world with operations in 140 countries. As the Management Board Member responsible for the $3bn+ Contract Logistics business, Tom is in charge of a global team of 22,000 logisticians with continued and accelerated profitable growth. In the first year of Tom’s leadership, DB Schenker Contract Logistics grew by 17 percent topline and saw a 20 percent growth to the bottom line. Tom has served also previously as President and CEO of Purolator in Canada, as well as had a long career in FedEx, having led as CEO the supply chain division. Also, Tom is a published author, having written the leadership book Simple Solutions: Harness the Power of Passion and Simplicity to Get Results. Which a great resource of leadership principles.
Connect with the Guest:
Tom Schmitt: Linkedin
Stay tuned as we cover:
- Top strategic directions that Schenker is trying to achieve in the next years. The top goals in the company by 2020.
- Contract Logistics. Where does Tom see the emerging markets.
- How DB Schenker customers expect them to use all the information, data, that we have to their advantage. Using big data and capacity planning.
- The importance of – People, service, profit in that sequence.
- Talking about left brain and right brain. How to access both types of thinking.
- Advice for a 23 year old finishing collage – Think of your first move and your second move as an option expanding move.
The interview is split into 3 parts – so if you want to skip directly to the point of interest please go ahead:
- [01:18] Part 1: Industry Trends
- [17:10] Part 2: Talent and Recruitment in Supply Chain and Logistics
- [28:59] Part 3: Personal success stories and habits
Episode #07: Tom Schmitt Board Member – Contract Logistics and Global Chief Commercial Officer for DB Schenker
- Available on Stitcher.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Listen to it on Spotify.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 here.
Part 1 – Industry Trends:
- [01:18] Top strategic directions that Schenker is trying to achieve in the next years. The top goals in the company by 2020?
- [04:41] Technology is rapidly transforming the industry. Which technology trend do you think will have the most impact by 2020?
- [07:20] What are the challenges DB Schenker is faced when implementing and adapting and transforming?
- [09:58] Current changes that your clients are struggling with at the moment and how is DB Schenker’s currently addressing some of them?
- [12:12] Contract Logistics. Where do you see the emerging markets?
- [12:44] On building a new regional office near the largest airport in the world that is build in Dubai.
- [15:26] If you were an investor, which logistics technology-related start up would you invest in and why?
Part 2 – Talent and Recruitment:
- [17:10] What types of skills are you actually focused on finding, developing or importing into DB Schenker?
- [17:44] Talking about the logistician of the future.
- [20:39] How our customers expect us to use all the information, data, that we have to their advantage. Using big data and capacity planning.
- [23:40] How you select your leadership team. What type of attributes are you looking for when it comes to appointing one of the top leaders in your team?
- [24:00] The importance of – People, service, profit in that sequence. Talking about the right people who can react accordingly in difficult situations – geopolitical or natural disasters (ex: Hurricanes)
- [26:44] Culture. What would be some of the top elements and mindsets, that you’re trying to instill and enforce?
Part 3 – Personal success stories and habits:
- [28:59] Any other principles you follow in your day to day work, in your leadership work?
- [29:32] Talking about the boy scout notion of leaving a place better than you found it.
- [32:00] Habits that contributes to your success? Do you do something on a regular basis?
- [32:23] Talking about left brain and right brain. How to access both types of thinking.
- [34:05] Which book do you typically give to people?
- [35:22] Any supply chain resources, websites, reports that you use to keep yourself updated with the latest development in the industry?
- [37:03] If you could give some advice to 23-year old graduating university wanting to achieve a great career in logistics, what would it be?
- [37:18] Advice for a 23 year old finishing collage – Think of your first move and your second move as an option expanding move.
Episode #01: Didier Chenneveau Executive Director Ernst & Young
Episode #05: Tim Wickmann former CEO of MCC Maersk
Episode #06: Bjorn Vang Jensen Global Head of Logistics at Electrolux