Matthias Heutger Senior Vice President Strategy, Marketing, and Innovation at DHL
Matthias is coordinating closely the activity of the two DHL Innovation Centers, in Germany and Singapore. Whose aim is to bring new innovations to the DHL group – which does mean they get to experiment with the latest technologies available.
Moreover, Matthias’s team is also responsible for the DHL Trend Radar, which is one of the most well documented and informative papers in the industry on the latest trends and technologies.
Matthias is also a member of The Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals and is highly engaged with our industry bodies and best practice associations like SAMA, SCM World and others.
Connect with the Guest:
Stay tuned as we cover:
- The warehouse of the future – working with collaborative robots.
- 3D printing – Matthias: “Everybody thought this will completely disrupt the logistics – I don’t believe it will.”
- Good data in logistics is a big challenge because it is still traditionally a very paper-based business.
- The potential for sharing platforms (Uber, AirBnb) in a way to be used in logistics.
- Talking about extensive internal Certified Training Program
Episode #08: Matthias Heutger Senior Vice President Strategy, Marketing and Innovation at DHL
- Available on Stitcher.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Listen to it on Spotify.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 here.
Part 1 – Industry Trends:
- [01.22] What technology trend in logistics do you think is likely to make the most impact by 2020?
- [04:12] The warehouse of the future – working with collaborative robots.
- [06:55] Mobile piece picking – simulating the human hand was the most complex thing to do.
- [08:13] 3D printing – What do you think about it?
- [08:28] 3D printing – Everybody thought this will completely disrupt the logistics – I don’t believe it will.
- [10:07] Artificial intelligence – What does DHL plan to do? Most clients ask – how can I better predict demand?
- [13:24] Good data in logistics is a big challenge because it is still traditionally a very paper-based business.
- [13:53] Do you see a potential for sharing platforms (Uber, AirBnb) in a way to be used in logistics?
- [14:25] Talking about warehousing sharing
- [18:59] Acceptance of a new model. Also change in management. Just like AirBnB. At some point, people really have to feel comfortable with letting strangers in your home.
- [19:47] What do you see as the biggest challenges that logistics companies in general, DHL in particular, is being faced right now with implementing all these new technologies?
- [20:15] “Hey, we were really working for an innovative company,” and if you gave them more security for their job than working for company who doesn’t embrace change.
- [23:45] If you were an investor, what type of technology startup would you invest in?
Part 2 – Talent and Recruitment:
- [24:40] Finding the right skills to take DHL to the next level, where do you feel there is a skill gap at the moment? What is the hardest for you to find?
- [27:27] Should companies try to develop their in-house talent. Is there some education changes that need to be done?
- [28:36] Talking about extensive internal Certified Training Program
- [29:55] What do you think is the critical mindset that people and logistics company should have in order to lead companies to success in coming years?
Part 3 – Personal success stories and habits:
- [30:59] What something that you did methodically at the initial stage of your career.
- [31:55] It is important to have broad experience across different topics, across different geographies as well and develop the right relationships.
- [33:51] Can you also share with us any kind of supply chain resources, anything that you use to take or to get your information to keep yourself up to date.
- [34:52] If you could give just one advice to a 23-year-old graduating from a university and wanting to achieve a great career in supply chain what would it be?
Episode #07: Tom Schmitt Board Member and Global CCO for DB Schenker
Episode #10: Gender Diversity with 3 Global Supply Chain Leaders
Episode #16: Marco Civardi Managing Director Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar & Laos at Damco