Marco Civardi Managing Director Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar & Laos at Damco
Marco Civardi is a seasoned logistics professional with over 21 years of experience working in general management covering sales, trade lane development, and key account management.
Marco is currently Area Managing Director for Damco Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar and Laos. Marco is a hands-on leader and has built strong and stable businesses in VCML which are key markets for the Damco global business.
Marco’s previous role was Regional Head of the Fashion Vertical for Asia Pacific based in Tokyo for Panalpina. In this role, Marco led a virtual team of fashion’s sales experts across many countries, including Korea, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, India, and Australia. Prior to that, he was the Head of Marketing & Sales for Panalpina Japan. In addition to Japan, he lived and worked in Italy, Hong Kong, and Australia.
Marco is Italian and speaks several languages, including Japanese. He received an MBA from the Macquarie Graduate School of Management in Sydney. Additionally, he received a Certificate in Supply Chain Management from the Cranfield School of Management in UK.
Connect with the Guest:
Marco Civardi: Linkedin
Stay tuned as we cover:
- Challenges and opportunities in the emerging markets
- Technology and how important ‘myDamco’ system is
- Continuous improvement case studies
- Finding talent in emerging markets
- Some of the skills that logistics professionals need to have to stay relevant in the long term?
- Main drivers for culture shaping
- The switch from sales and marketing to a full PnL role
The interview is split into 3 parts – so if you want to skip directly to the point of interest please go ahead:
- [02:02] Part 1: Industry Trends
- [18:43] Part 2: Talent and Recruitment in Supply Chain and Logistics
- [31:30] Part 3: Personal success stories and habits
Episode #16: Marco Civardi Managing Director Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar & Laos at Damco
- Available on Stitcher.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Listen to it on Spotify.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 here.
Part 1 – Industry Trends:
- [02:02] Tell us a bit about each market specifically and some key facts about doing business in each country.
- [04:03] What are some of the challenges and opportunities in the emerging markets you lead? What would you say stands out as unexpected – maybe some stories about pleasant and unpleasant surprises you had when starting.
- [12:12] Let’s talk about technology. What is “myDamco” (a system that is used to keep track of orders from clients) and how does it improve your operations?
- [13:28] Any continuous improvement case studies that you want to share?
- [17:10] You lead one of the most successful clusters in the region. Can you share some of the ‘secrets‘ that made the cluster so efficient?
Part 2 – Talent and Recruitment:
- [18:43] Finding talent in emerging markets is different from finding talent in mature markets like Singapore or Europe. What are some of the challenges and opportunities you find?
- [23:25] New technologies are changing logistics at a faster pace than ever before. What are some of the skills that logistics professionals need to have to stay relevant in the long term?
- [26:03] Are there some leadership principles that you follow in your day to day work?
- [28:00] As a leader, you are one of the main drivers for culture. What are some of the key elements that you focus on when it comes to shaping culture?
Part 3 – Personal success stories and habits:
- [31:30] In your career you made the switch from sales and marketing to a full PnL role for a major important cluster. How did you manage to do that and what were your key learnings?
- [34:50] If you could give some advice to a 23-year-old graduating university and wanting to achieve a great career in logistics, what would it be?
Episode #15: Dr. John Gattorna Executive Chairman for Gattorna Alignment
Episode #26: Troels Randbøll Støvring CEO of Twill Logistics
Episode #31: Zvi Schreiber CEO at Freightos